Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Sweet Pandemonium of The Rainy Season



I love the madness of the rainy season, everyday is chaos and catastrophe. This is the one time of the year when everybody seems to be just as busy as I am. You don't see nearly as many people strolling back and forth on the road in the trading center, or the boys sitting in front of every shop either playing checkers or watching the grass grow. Now is the time when folks are busy in their fields, transplanting their tobacco nurseries, or applying fertilizer to their maize.




I've been extra busy this rainy season with the construtction of the EPA dominating the last several months, I spend each morning at the construction site mixing cement and carrying bricks for the builders. To keep up with the rainy season my afternoons are filled with a whole bunch of new seasonal projects like out planting the trees from the tree nurseries or digging our fish ponds. This also happens to be the peak honey season, so I have been helping lots of different people harvest their hives and get their honey to market.When I'm not doing these things with the community, I can generally be found hoeing in my field where I'm mostly growing rizobium inoculated soy beans and some maize along with Tephrosia Vogelli a nitrogen fixing tree to show some different ways people can regenerate soil fertility and start saving money on inputs.


Aside from busyness, the other trademarks of the rains are more mangoes than you could ever want to eat, and snakes appearing in strange places now. Every Mango tree has a growing pile of rotting fruit under it, as the kids can't eat them fast enough. And my neighbor killed a five and a half foot long cobra in his chimbuzi (pit latrine). I skinned it and stretched it out to dry in the sun, now I think everybody thinks I'm practicing witchcraft!

No comments: